Saturday, July 14, 2007

Wait - the beginning!

Ah! I forgot the most wonderful beginning!

I should start with my last day in Austin...one last breakfast taco at Quack´s with Stephanie - a blur of last minute moving errands - a short trip with Coby, (trying to) catch up on a whole summer adventure between the bank and a wonderful bowl of soup (lime and extra pepper!) - more last minutes in the house that has been my home for the last two years (amazing!) - clearing tire marks off the wall from early morning biking and one last bath (double duty to clean the tub!)

Sarah had a long evening at work, but we manage to fit in a bottle of wine on Larry´s porch to talk about friendships and travel and knowing yourself - I am so blessed to have met her as a true friend when I first arrived in Austin. When Larry arrived home I watched a bit of a movie with him - I could only stay a bit, no sleep, just sweeping and double-checking everything - then Stephanie pulled up and two very sleepy people rolled out to the airport.

I snored all the way to Atlanta, but on the flight to São Paulo my seatmate was an elderly man - the sort that inspires you to catch his elbow, and it reminded me how much I miss my grandparents. He has two children in the U.S. and was returing from the wedding of his grandson - the "Inglês, Urgente!" book in his lap began a long conversation in a mixtura of português, english e questions - miming is helpful, but the pocket dictionary is gold.

Entering Brasil, I am happy - our talk dissolves many fears I have been able to rid on my own.

No comments: